I'm moving...You're being redirected

I am moving my blog over to www.writtenbydonna.com. You are going to be automatically redirected.

Monday, May 7, 2012

Jumping in With Both Feet

This past weekend I attended the LDStorymakers Conference and had a blast! This was my first outing as a "writer." Remember, I have only been out of the writing closet for a very short time and I have only discussed my book with one person. It was so great to meet other writers and to learn some extremely valuable skills. I came home super motivated to continue writing my book and found out my laptop charging cord had broken!!! My book is on my laptop so this created a problem. Enter Amazon Prime and I will have a new cord tomorrow morning. Hooray! Once again Amazon Prime saves my life, or the day.

The week leading up to the conference sucked! I was supposed to head up with Ruth on Thursday to attend a dinner that night and then stay for the conference on Thursday and Friday. However, my daughter got sick on Tuesday. I took her to the doctor and they suspected Strep or influenza. Not good. We were waiting for the results to decide if I could go or not. My husband is deployed and my mom can't afford to get sick so I couldn't leave my kids with her if my daughter was still sick. Thursday  morning I call the doctor and both tests are negative. Woo-hoo! Then I decided to look down at my foot which had been hurting for the last day and I saw what looked to be an insect bite on my toe and red streaks shooting up my foot. I bailed on Ruth for dinner that night and cancelled the conference for Friday. Long story short: Dr., infection, blood work, antibiotics, swelling, spreading, and finally good enough for me to head up on Friday evening. That night I met some great people, we hung out, and we even got to go see a rooftop concert featuring Peter Breinholt, whom we all thought we knew but it turns out he was not who we were expecting. It was still fun.

The conference was amazing. I was fortunate to have Ruth around to guide me and provide me with an instant group of friends. I can't imagine entering into that world alone. I roomed with some really great people and we stayed up way too late, laughed way too hard, and had way too much fun. I learned some really great things and I am ready to get serious about writing my novel. I have now confessed my passion to my husband who is fully supportive and that makes me happy because he will now push me and encourage me.

I have no pictures because I don't have a point-and-shoot and I didn't want to lug my DSLR around with me all weekend. Just imagine a lot of pictures of me with people I don't know, people I aspire to be, and me having a fun time on my much needed weekend away from my kids. The pictures might look something like this:


To those I met, it was great meeting you! To those I didn't meet, maybe next year. Thank you all for welcoming me and making me feel completely comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. It was so great meeting you too! We had some good times, didn't we?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did! We need to for sure get a writer's retreat going this summer!

      Delete