I'm moving...You're being redirected

I am moving my blog over to www.writtenbydonna.com. You are going to be automatically redirected.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Truth Shall Set You Free


Now that I have "outed" myself as a writer I can actually write! It's amazing how that works. Prior to the LDStorymakers conference I didn't really consider myself a writer. I never truly aspired to be a published author because I didn't believe that I had the talent. I still don't know if I have the talent to be published but I have to decided to write for me because I have a story to tell. I want to know how my story ends.

I went to one class by the amazingly talented and witty Kiersten White and she motivated me so much. She basically said none of us were "aspiring writers" we were just "writers." Wow! She said some other great things that made me feel like I could conquer the writing world but mostly she just made me believe that I am a writer and I came home and started writing. And amazingly enough the words started flowing freely. I stopped questioning whether I was good enough and just put down my story that I wanted to tell. I will go back and revise later if I think this is a book other people might want to read. Otherwise I leave it for me and that is good enough. I'm enjoying writing and I'm enjoying not having the pressure on myself. (I also gained courage and inspiration from Becca Wilhite, Jeff Savage, James Dashner, and Robison Wells. Although mostly I just gained a belly ache from laughing so hard during the class with Jeff, James, and Rob - whom I can't stop calling Rob because that is how he introduced himself but it seems too familiar and not formal enough.There was another class I went too also but I was mostly Skyping my husband during that class because we hadn't spoken in several days at that point.)

Another great thing is that I am now discussing my book with my husband. He is encouraging and helpful and I don't know how I ever thought I could get any of this done without him. My WIP is the story of an Army wife and he has decided to be my "military consultant" to make sure everything military is portrayed correctly.I know a lot about being a military wife and I know quite a bit about the military but he knows a lot more! Let me tell you - it has been awesome sharing this dream with him. As we Skyped today he had me laughing with his comments while at the same time giving me the details to make my story credible.

Now I just need to get to the point where I can actually share my work with other people (besides the dog - whom I read it to as I work).

5 comments:

  1. Hey, you're here in blogland! Welcome. I'm so glad that you are able to share with the hubby. I know he thinks you're awesome so this is just one more thing to add to the list. :) Happy writing, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I double that welcome! Your blog is super cute. :) And good for you for coming out to your husband. It's nice to have support from the hubbies. (If someone were just reading the comments, they'd think I was talking about something completely different.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! Yes, between these comments and Ruth's check memos people might start getting the wrong idea about all of us. :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, I promise I'm not a stalker type person in real life. I just have to comment yet again on one of your posts because it resonates with me so much. And now I'm bummed we didn't meet at Storymakers! Next year I'll be looking for you (uh, in a non-stalkerish, minimally creepy way of course) to meet!

    It's just that I feel at very much the same place you are in in your writing journey and going to the conference made me realize that I can finally tell people I want to write, finally commit to writing and be out there in the writing world.

    And I'm very glad to meet other people like you that are going through this new adventure too.

    ReplyDelete