I'm moving...You're being redirected

I am moving my blog over to www.writtenbydonna.com. You are going to be automatically redirected.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Word Play


Once upon a time I had a sister-in-law (definitely not Ruth) and we will call her Sis. Sis was not a good cook and not a good housekeeper and she had one, maybe two, small children at the time. One day she and my mom were looking through a brochure of summer classes and they came across a class titled "Cooking for Kids." Thinking this was a great idea for Sis so that she could cook for her children they signed her up. Now this was over 20 years ago, so I can't remember all the details 100% but this is pretty close. I can't remember if she went to the class or how exactly the truth came about. However, it turns out this cooking class was a cooking class FOR kids. As in, it was full of a bunch of 8-12 year old kids and my 20-something sister-in-law.

Humiliating? Yes.

Hilarious? For sure.

Helpful? Not at all.

I'm sure that when the teacher titled her class she didn't ever think there would be any confusion about the use of a simple word like "for." Sometimes I know that I get caught up in what I want to say and I don't really think of how somebody outside my head might read my words. Just in case you are wondering, everything I say makes sense inside my head (also, I have an amazing singing voice in my head). I think we have all read something at some point in time and we thought to ourselves, "what the heck are they talking about?"

So, what are some steps you take to make sure you don't have 20-year-old women showing up to your cooking class aimed at 8 to 12-year-old children (metaphorically speaking, of course)?

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Too funny. Unfortunately I always get things wrong. Everything I say comes out different or can be easily misinterpreted. Sigh. I'm getting better. Usually I just try not to open my mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost always better off if I don't open my mouth. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! That's great. You know, some of my best bread recipes came from a children's cook book. :)
    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Emily! Thanks for following.

      Delete