I'm moving...You're being redirected

I am moving my blog over to www.writtenbydonna.com. You are going to be automatically redirected.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: Not Your Average Fairy Tale

I've decided that I want to do periodic book reviews on here. I have belonged to many book clubs in my day. At one point I even ran two different book clubs simultaneously. I haven't really found a book club where I'm currently living so I have decided to occasionally review a book or two on here. My debut book review is for my friend Chantele's book, "Not Your Average Fairy Tale" which just came out on August 1.

Here is the blurb for this book: Armed with wings and a blue wand, being a fairy godmother should be easy ... unless your name is Ash, and you're a dude.

Ash Summerland has it all–good looks, popularity, and the best grades at The Academy of Magical Beings. Ready to complete his last assignment in order to graduate, Ash is confident he will get the apprenticeship he wants. When he opens the letter from the Council, he is shocked to discover he has been assigned to apprentice Lady Shenelle, Keeper of Happy Endings. A.K.A. the head fairy godmother. Ash is forced to grant three wishes to a troubled human girl named Kendall, and ultimately give her a "happy ever after". But Kendall turns out to be more than he bargained for. Still grieving over her father's death, Kendall doesn't want anything to do with him. And worst of all, she doesn't believe in happy endings.
I really enjoyed this book a lot. I generally do not enjoy books that switch character points of view but Chantele did a great job with it in this book and it added a lot to the tension. I liked both Ash and Kendall enough to care about each of them on their own and together which made me like knowing both of their thoughts.  The pacing was nice -- I never found myself getting bored. The romance was believable and engaging. I liked that the teenagers acted like teens and not like little adults. There were twists and turns throughout. It is clean enough that I would let my nearly 10-year-old daughter read this too.
 
I also have a little bit of a crush on Ash.
 
You can pick up her book at Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

22 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but I'm going to soon. Ive got a WIP that consists of of a teen boy protag in the fairy business. Sorta. But I've heard good reviews on this one and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend this to you then!

      Delete
  2. I've read this as well and totally loved it, good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it too! I'm glad you got to read it also.

      Delete
  3. I really need to get on reading this book. Chantele is wonderful, and I'm sure her book is too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must read it! It is a pretty quick read (1 day for me) but so good.

      Delete
  4. I've been hearing soooo many good things about this book! Really need to add it to my TBR :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good. I don't think yu will be disappointed.

      Delete
  5. I have SO got to read this soon! I've heard nothing but fabulous stuff about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do. It is really good and a pretty quick read. It could be just what you need to re-energize yourself. And even though there is an awesome romance element it is not so much that Peggy No-Romance Eddleman will not enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait for this to reach the top of my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, this one is already on the list. Going to have to bump it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You, with a crush on Ash? I would've never guessed :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I really had to force myself to become a cougar and just go against my natural non-boy crazy instincts.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the review! I can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really good! I've seen the book around on the internet (mentioned on Goodreads, Twitter, blogs, etc.) but I haven't read it yet. I may have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I not see this? Thank you SO much, Donna!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Thank you for writing a super great, fun book for me to enjoy! I can't wait for the sequel. :)

      Delete