I'm moving...You're being redirected

I am moving my blog over to www.writtenbydonna.com. You are going to be automatically redirected.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Favorites

First of all, have you entered to win the $35 gift card in celebration of my 35th birthday? You can enter here and you have until midnight EST Thursday to enter.

Secondly (and finally - this really isn't a very long post), I am going to answer the same questions I asked of you in my contest post but I am going to answer one each day. Today is the first question.

  • What is your favorite book of all time?
  • Okay, I really have a lot of favorite books of all time. I am not the best at declaring a favorite anything or a best friend or anything that alienates anything. I tend to personify all things and I don't want to hurt any book's feelings. However, I will share a couple of my favorites with you.

    First is ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery. I read this whole series when I was young but the original is the first "real book" I remember reading. This book instilled in me my love of reading and writing. My copy of the original had a dark green cover and the pages were so worn from me reading over and over and over. I wanted to be Anne Shirley. I loved (and still love) Gilbert. I'm sure you are all shocked that I fell in love with a fictional character. I wanted to create characters and worlds as real as those in this book.

    The second is also from my youth and it is THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Holy smokes! This book made me want to be an orphan.  I love my parents but oh man I wanted to go live with a distant relative and find a sickly cousin who needed me to take him outside and heal him.  Once those thoughts passed I allowed myself to think that it would be great even just to have a secret garden. Even now in my wildest dreams I have a house with a huge yard and my own secret garden. Now though, instead of wanting to hide from my parents and siblings, I want to hide from my husband and kids. And I would have a reading nook and a writing nook. And I would spend warm fall afternoons out there. And I would write great books like ANNE OF GREEN GABLES and THE SECRET GARDEN.

    And by the way, I still watch the TV/movie adaptations of both of these at least once every couple years. I also like to read them both every few years.

    7 comments:

    1. Love both of those! Excellent choices!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love, love, THE SECRET GARDEN. I have the same dream as you, to one day have my own secret garden.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Ah, Gilbert Blythe. The hottie of all hotties, amiright? And I was just thinking this morning that I need to read The Secret Garden again.

      ReplyDelete
    4. You are right. Gilbert was the first in my very long line of character crushes.

      ReplyDelete